Saturday, November 7, 2009

Bow Making‏

A few years ago, probably more like 5 or 6 years, Jenny, Kristin, & I got together at my apartment. Jenny & I decided we wanted to make Fall wreaths so off to the craft store we went. Kristin opted to watch and hang out. Her choice was probably smartest. Ha! We gathered our supplies, which included a grapevine wreath, Fall ribbon, a little scarecrow, some fake corn, etc. and headed back to my apartment to craft. We thought we did a pretty good job twisting the ribbon around the wreath and hot gluing the embellishments on. Then came the hard part. We needed bows for the wreaths. We didn't know how to make bows. What were we going to do? Well, I had the bright idea (at least I think it was me, if it was Jenny she can totally have the credit) to just make little loops, staple them, and hot glue them on and if we made enough it'd look like a bow. Sad, I know. So that is how my Fall wreath has been the past 5 or 6 years. Pretty rigged and a little ghetto. To the untrained eye it's not obvious. But to the professional bow maker, I'm pretty sure it is.

ghetto bow

after tearing the ghetto bow off the wreath

Through the years I ended up buying myself a bow maker, instructions included, and learned how to make bows. I can even do them now without the bow maker but I prefer it because it makes it easier. So I decided that I need to make a new bow for my Fall wreath. I still have the same ribbon we used all those years ago. I guess we thought we'd use more. If we'd done them the correct way we might have. I made a new bow a few weeks ago and think it turned out well. I tore off the fake bow loops and hot glued the new one down. Now my wreath is complete. I guarantee you no one but me will ever notice that the bow kinda changed. Oh well, I did it for me. I'm pretty sure I'll always laugh and think of that Saturday afternoon we made the wreaths when I see mine hanging on my door. Happy Fall!

making the new bow

Ta da!

2 comments:

  1. Well...your new bow does look a little more polished and professional, but your "ghetto" on elooked great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that's great! Unfortunately I was probably broke, so that's probably why I opted to just watch. :) But I remember and we had such a good time! Your old bow was nice, your new bow is great! Very pretty. :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete