Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Many Faces of Sylvester

Sylvester is my sweet, precious kitty, for those of you who don't know me well. If you've spent any time with me at all you know of Sylvest, and that describing him as sweet and precious is hilarious. Sylvest could be described as having multiple personalities. Sometimes he really can be sweet. Just a minute ago he jumped up on my chest as I lay on the couch, purred, kneaded my stomach, and just wanted to cuddle and be rubbed. That led to this post, and it also made me laugh. He can be the best cat ever, or a holy terror. He coughs up hairballs, poops and pees on the bed when he's mad, hisses, scratches, and can be a real devil. You never know which Sly you are going to get at any one time.

I got Sylvest in June 2004 from my friend Erin, whose cat had kittens. I never really cared for cats much. We didn't have them growing up, and mom and dad didn't like them so neither did I. In recent years I had been okay with them. Some friends had cats that were pretty sweet. But when Erin told me I could have one I got pretty excited. My OWN pet. A companion for my quite apartment. It sounded good to me. Sylvest was the runt of the five kitten litter. He always progressed about a week or two behind his siblings. Erin let me take him home when he was eight weeks old. He was ready. I remember that first night. I was SCARED TO DEATH driving home with him. And I think I was even more scared as I sat in my bathroom floor and this little thing was vibrating as I held him in my hands. Vibrating! What was wrong with my cat? He was defective. I called my friend Brinda, who had also taken home a kitten that night. I told her my kitten was vibrating and I didn't know what to do. After nearly dying of laughter she told me he was purring. Purring? That's what purring sounds like? What the heck? To this day my friends won't let me live it down. Hey, I had no experience with cats. How was I to know.

Anyway, Sylvest was being sweet tonight so it was DEFINITELY blog worthy. Stay tuned for the days where I try to give him away.

3 comments:

  1. And there is absolutley no shame in giving away a pet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck giving that devil in cat's clothing away to anyone! Haaaaaaah! You'd hafta pay someone!

    Okay, maybe he isn't that bad... all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I just read this blog, due to my travels! It made me smile all the way down....

    ReplyDelete