Sunday, April 19, 2009

It's All A Crap Shoot

Yesterday I attended yet some more teaching job fairs. There were five fairs at different ISD's around the area. I was hoping to make it to all five, but that was going to be pushing it. I ended up making it to two, Little Elm and Irving. At Little Elm I just turned in resumes to the high school and middle school, was told they had no current openings but would take my resume and keep me in mind, and then I headed to Irving.

It was a bit of a drive but I was determined to go. I need to find a job! I found the location of the fair and the parking was absolutely filled. There were signs that there was a shuttle at a college down the street so I turned around and head there. That parking lot was pretty full too but I squeezed in to a spot and trucked it to the school bus. Once the bus dropped us off at the school we had to stand in line and listen for instructions on what to do once inside. As I was standing in the line outside I heard a guy say "it's all a crap shoot". I kind of laughed and didn't give it much thought until I was inside. The place was full. I headed to the secondary schools area and made the rounds. The way this fair worked you signed up for available interview times and returned at your allotted time. I thought this was pretty cool, as I hadn't been to any other job fairs like that so far. I was excited to get a 1 pm interview slot with Irving High. Although the time was not great because I wouldn't be able to make it to my other three planned fairs, I was still excited to get to interview. I then headed to the other high school tables which had no interview openings. I was disappointed since they were specifically interviewing for a speech position, which I'm being certified to teach. I dropped off resumes and they told me to check back later to see if there were any cancellations. Who cancels an interview? I guess some people. I need a job too badly though! lol! I made it through the middle school area, waited in long lines, to learn pretty much none of the middle schools in Irving ISD offer speech to their students. I considered heading to the Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD fair nearby before my interview, but by the time I stopped in the library and had an uncomfortable interview for the Learning Center (aka-alternative school) there just wasn't time. I used my free lunch ticket, made some random conversation with strangers, checked back by the high tables to see if there were any cancellations (there weren't) and headed to my interview at 1 pm. It went well, I thought. The lady I interviewed with was super duper nice and it was actually really fun talking to her. I wish all interviews went that way. Of course they were interviewing lots of people so I don't know anything, but at least I departed on a positive note.

I then hopped the shuttle back to my car and I was out of there. On the way home I kept thinking about what I'd heard, "it's all just a crap shoot". I hated to agree but it kind of is. We are all like a herd of cattle vying for a piece of the salt lick. lol! Not everyone will get some. I try to remain positive. Some days it's easier than others. I continue to pray about it. But I do have to laugh, it is kind of a crap shoot (whatever that means). We shall see.

5 comments:

  1. It may seem like a "crap shoot," but thankfully we know that God is guiding with his hand on which doors He will open...just keep up the faith! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, Kristi! I can't believe they don't offer speech to middle school students. That's too bad. Have you checked with Wylie ISD? I don't know much about the Speech Dept.

    I love reading your blog!

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, Wylie is looking for a speech therapist! Here is the link:

    https://skyward-wb.wylieisd.net/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=wsFin/rapplmnu03.w

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some district will be very lucky to have you on staff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A crap shoot is when you get a gun and head out to a pasture and...

    ReplyDelete