Thursday, October 1, 2009

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. "This is an annual international health campaign organized by major breast cancer charities every October to increase awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research into its cause, prevention and cure. The campaign also offers information and support to those affected by breast cancer." ~Wikipedia


I AM THE CURE is a great program from Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure that teaches people simple steps they need to know to take charge of their breast health. It talks about the importance of early detection and provides simple, action-oriented chants that Race participants can take home and put into action.

I AM THE CURE 2009 Chants:
*"See your doctor, learn your risk!"
: Your doc can help you learn about your personal breast cancer risk. You should also talk to your family to learn about your family health history.
*"Notice changes to your breasts!" : Know how your breasts look and feel, and report changes to your heath care provider right away.
*"Get mammograms and breast exams!" : Ask your doctor which screening tests are right for you if you are at higher risk. Have mammograms every year starting at age 40. Have clinical breast exams at least every three years beginning at age 20 and every year starting at age 40.
*"Start the fight by living right!" : Make healthy lifestyle choices that may reduce your breast cancer risk, such as:
*Maintaining a healthy weight.
*Adding exercise to your routine.
*Limiting alcohol intake.


Men, this applies to you as well. You can get breast cancer too. You need to do your self-examinations! I personally know men affected by this disease. It can happen to you.

Obviously breast cancer awareness is very close to my heart with my mom being a TWO TIME SURVIVOR of the terrible disease. Mom's grandmother died of breast cancer in the 1940's. I thank God for the advances in technology that have been made since that time. I'm trying to do my part to take care of myself and raise awareness. I'm involved with Susan G. Komen for the Cure North Texas, which is holding their next annual race on June 12, 2010. I'm trying to eat healthier and add exercise into my routine. I've even already had a mammogram a few years back due to family history and to get a baseline. I think it's sad when someone won't go get a mammogram because they are scared that it will hurt. Really? It's not THAT bad. A little squishing here and there and you're done. It's much better than the alternative. Early detection saves lives. I know that personally.


So do me and yourself a favor...get those boobs squished, do the self-exams (yes I'm talking to myself), read the literature, donate your time and money, and become more aware. I'd love to see a world without breast cancer in my lifetime. It's what we're working for!

Save the Tatas!

No comments:

Post a Comment