Saturday, October 31, 2009

Red Writing's TWOC - #4 All About The Food‏

Christmas food is awesome and there is always lots of it around during the season. There are just so many things we get to enjoy this time of year.

Sausage Balls - I don't know why but they make me think of Christmas. Probably because lots of years we have them Christmas morning at Mom & Dad's after all the presents have been opened, the trash is picked up, and the parade is on TV. They are definitely tasty goodness.

Peppermint anything - Shakes (already being sold at Chick-fil-A), fudge, almond bark, canes, hot chocolate...it's all delicious and really says Christmas. I definitely enjoy my share of it during the holidays.

Cookies, bars, etc. - I attend an annual girl's Christmas party every year and in recent years we've started a cookie exchange. Talk about awesome. The women that attend are great cooks and very creative. There might be peanut butter cookies with a Hershey's kiss melted in the middle, pretzels with a tootsie roll and M&M melted on top, chocolate chip cookies, various bars, cake balls...it's all fantastic. I look forward to this get together all year long!

And don't forget about making Christmas sugar cookies. I love them! You get the fun of rolling the dough, cutting them in to cute shapes, and creatively decorating them with icing. The best part? After your done it's time to eat them!!!

Side dishes - I love my mom's Broccoli, Rice & Cheese Casserole. It's the perfect side to take to potlucks during the holidays. I've learned to make it pretty good too. Cranberry sauce is another favorite of mine. Nothing says Thanksgiving & Christmas dinner better. Of course there are the traditional mashed potatoes. You can't have a holiday meal without those.

Meat - We always have turkey and ham during the Christmas season. Brisket is sometimes thrown in there as well. Yum!

Chocolates - Anyone who knows me knows I'm a huge fan of chocolate. This especially rings true during Christmas time. My favorites are Reese's in the shape of Christmas trees and toy soldiers. There is just something about them being in those shapes that makes them taste better. Then of course there are the red and green M&M's and chocolate covered cherries...I can't get through the holidays without those.

I look forward to enjoying all these treats with Christmas time rapidly approaching. Of course come January 1st it'll be time to head straight for the gym and be strict on the diet. But we'll just worry about that then! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I love every food item you listed! And I'm in Dallas. So it must be a Texas thing!
    Have a great week!
    Christmas Blessings,
    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen Reeses in any shape but round, but I think the special shapes would be fun! I love mint and chocolate together.

    ReplyDelete