Friday, May 1, 2009

Swine Flu

I'm sick of it. I'm SO tired of hearing about it. I'm not trying to be insensitive, but it's EVERYWHERE! Am I supposed to be afraid? Should I run out and buy lots of Purel and a hospital mask? Should I ignore it all. I have NO idea. I googled it the other day to make sure I got the gist of what it was all about. Wikipedia didn't make it sound so horrible. It says symptoms are similar to those of the regular flu and apparently you can get over it without having medical attention. That didn't sound so horrible. But then it's ALL over the national news, schools districts all over the area have closed some schools, some even have shut down the entire district for a week. That doesn't sound so good. Erin (my smart doctor friend) said that at the hospital where she is in her last week of med school that they are searching everyone's bags that leave the hospital because people are stealing masks, gloves, and hand sanitizer. WOW! I attended a job fair in Richardson today where Purel stations were set-up throughout, Purel was pumped into our hands upon entering, and we were instructed to not shake hands with anyone. Have you ever purposefully not tried to shake hands? It's kind of weird and hard to do. I'll admit that some hands were still shook. Some districts didn't even attend the fair due to the outbreak. I also learned today that the huge job fair I was going to attend on Monday has been canceled due to this swine flu. Grrrrr. You KNOW if I don't get a teaching job before school starts in August that I am definitely blaming this thing! I also heard that over 35,000 people die yearly form the "regular" flu yet we never hear about it like this. I don't know. It's all pretty crazy. People have even speculated that this is the sign that the world is coming to an end! Whatever. Just don't kiss any pigs, wash your hands, don't spread your germs all over when coughing or sneezing, and if you are sick please, please, please STAY AT HOME!

3 comments:

  1. It is crazy isn't it? People are not making a big deal of it here in Lubbock, but I know they are back home. And in Dallas/FW, etc....Anyway, Klusoz is a bar. The depot district in Lubbock is basically a row of bars, but they just opened this restaurant Triple J there that we like to go to. So anyway, that's what was kinda weird about it-holding William in front of "our bar." Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'll admit that some hands were still shook."
    -Kristi Stevens

    Awesome quote!!!

    You are crackin me up! People (the media) just need something else to worry about...the economic depression had lost its luster, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. It has totally become paranoia brought on by the media. My mom (a nurse) remembers the swine flu outbreak back in '76 and the "vaccine" actually killed more people than the flu...they had to stop giving it!

    ReplyDelete